Men of D-Day

 Troop Carrier
Michael N. Ingrisano
Robert E. Callahan
Benjamin F. Kendig
John R. Devitt
Arthur W. Hooper
Ward Smith
Julian A. Rice
Charles E. Skidmore
Sherfey T. Randolph
Louis R. Emerson Jr.
Leonard L. Baer
Robert D. Dopita
Harvey Cohen
Zane H. Graves
John J. Prince
Henry C. Hobbs
John C. Hanscom
Charles S. Cartwright
 82nd Airborne
Leslie Palmer Cruise Jr.
Marie-T Lavieille
Denise Lecourtois
Howard Huebner
Malcolm D. Brannen
Thomas W. Porcella
Ray T. Burchell
Robert C. Moss
Richard R. Hill
Edward W. Shimko
 101st Airborne
John Nasea, Jr
David 'Buck' Rogers
Marie madeleine Poisson
Roger Lecheminant
Dale Q. Gregory
George E. Willey
Raymond Geddes
 Utah Beach
Joseph S. Jones
Jim McKee
Eugene D. Shales
Milton Staley
 Omaha Beach
Melvin B. Farrell
James R. Argo
Carl E. Bombardier
Robert M. Leach
Joseph Alexander
James Branch
John Hooper
Anthony Leone
George A. Davison
James H. Jordan
Albert J. Berard
Jewel M. Vidito
H. Smith Shumway
Louis Occelli
John H. Kellers
Harley A. Reynolds
John C. Raaen
Wesley Ross
Richard J. Ford
William C. Smith
Ralph E. Gallant
James W. Gabaree
James W. Tucker
Robert Watson
Robert R. Chapman
Robert H. Searl
Leslie Dobinson
William H. Johnson
 Gold Beach
George F. Weightman
Norman W. Cohen
Walter Uden
 Juno Beach
Leonard Smith
 Sword Beach
Brian Guy
 6th Airborne
Roger Charbonneau
Frederick Glover
Jacques Courcy
Arlette Lechevalier
Charles S. Pearson
Harvey Jacobs
William O. Gifford
Philippe Bauduin
Albert Lefevre
René Etrillard
Suzanne Lesueur
Marie Thierry


George Frederick Weightman
Sergeant - 56th Brigade - 50th Infantry Division

I was born on the 13th October 1909 in Leicester and I joined the Territorial Army in 1939.
When the war was declared I joined a searchlight unit and was trained as a Bofors gunner. I rose to the rank of Sergeant and served in England and Scotland on the coastal defences at the beginning of the war.
I was stationed at Hastings in the south of England when I received orders to join the 56th Infantry Brigade early in 1944. First I went to Scotland on a waterproofing course. This was to ensure that the vehicles used in the invasion would be reliable when landing in the sea on invasion day.

In early May the invasion force was being built up together in Southern England. I was the stationed in the NewForest, which was ideal camouflage for all the weaponry to be used on invasion day.
I was then ordered to Southampton to await with thousands of other English soldiers for the start of D-Day.
We stayed on the streets of Southampton for 5 - 6 days. Local people helped with cups of tea and sandwiches from their meagre rations.

We then boarded at Southampton a L.C.T., a Landing Craft Tank. Big enough to take men and armour across the Channel. The L.C.T. then moved out into the Channel to a position where all the invasion fleet was to gather. We remained, on board in all 4 - 5 days knowing nothing and doing nothing.
The first day designated for Harding was June 5th but due to bad weather this was cancelled. But at night later on June 5th the fleet had a message from General Eisenhower, it said: "Let's go boys". Anchors were up and during night + early hours of June 6th we crossed the Channel.
I embarked from the L.C.T. on to a Rhino, a big landing craft, about 1 mile from the shore. I went in on the second wave to Gold Beach where the first wave had secured a hole.
We were strafed by German planes, bombarded by coastal batteries and harassed by German snipers.

My regiment reformed near Bayeux, after landing and going forward. We fought at Bayeux, Tilly sur Seulles. Big battles were fought before breaking out.
From Tilly we fought at Villers Bocage, a big battle and many men, both sides, fell.
Then on to Saint-Lô, another battle where the English met up with the Americans. We fought there for 2 days. Then to Falaise, where the Germans were trapped by encircling, Americans, English, Canadians and Free French, this was the battle of Falaise gap. The Germans suffered a mighty defeat. Next was Le Havre were the German garrison fought but in the end surrendered.

After being in action for some time, I was rested for 4 - 5 days near St Romaire.
The back to battle pushing the Bosch back to Germany.

George Frederick Weightman     (November 11, 2003)